Monday, September 15, 2014

Essay Week 5: India Mythology

This week I read Twenty-Two Goblins from the India Reading Unit in the Mythology-Folklore Un-Textbook. I thought this reading was super fun! I loved the India Unit of the Un-Textbook and found both the readings I did from this section to be the best readings thus far! I can definitely see why someone would want to read India Epics forever! In the Twenty-Two Goblins Unit I definitely had some favorite tales which you can see here. I really enjoyed the layout and the style of this unit. The idea that this king would go back again and again to get the body and bring it to the priest was really cool. I though the goblin character was also really interesting in his character development. In this reading unit there was some very strange stories. One of my favorites was the Three Delicate Wives who were bruised by a flower petal, burned by the moon beam and hurt by the sound of a pestle; very interesting reads! Overall I really enjoyed this reading and I think it would be hard to improve on it. Going into this reading unit it was exactly as I expected it to be from the synopsis, but at the same time it was so much more (like I was saying the back story in this unit was very poetic).

Shiva Statue, Bangalore

Another thing I was very impressed with in the Twenty-Two Goblins Tales Unit was its shortness. It took me almost no time at all to read the unit! I think the stories themselves were a little longer than average, but this made it possible for fewer stories and I think made the unit an easier read. Plus, because the actual stories were longer they had more detail in them and that just adds to the fun! I was very impressed with the readings and I am so glad that I was able to read this as a part of my Mythology and Folklore Course. This is definitely a unit that I would not want to see disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown