Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week 4: Famous Last Words

Wow! What an amazing week for Mythology and Folklore! I am excited to announce that I am now “Linkedin” so to speak on the social-media site Linkedin. The more I go through my Junior year at the University of Oklahoma the more I am finding myself wanting to push boundaries and expand myself to new possibilities of social networking. I think the online sphere has a lot to offer in terms of connectivity, but I also realize that online cannot do it all. I have started a new project at the Oklahoma's Archaeological Survey, on the University of Oklahoma’s Campus, working with Oklahoma’s Longest Site also known as 34JF1! I am excited about this opportunity to broaden my horizon and begin my journey as a well connected student.

On the subject of websites I have just finished up my introduction page for my Storybook project. If you are interested you can check it out here. I have titled it Diaries of the Undead: Global Edition. It needs a lot work and a little bit of polish, but I am proud of it overall so far.

Jataka Tales: Buddha
Famous Last Words:
This week, Week 4, I have read the Jataka Tales Unit by Shedlock. I absolutely loved this unit, it was the best unit I have read yet. I would definitely recommend the reading. I was really inspired this week from the India Unit. When I enrolled in this course I was not really sure what to expect. In all reality if I expected anything it was probably a course more along the lines of greek and roman mythology. Not at all am I saying that would have been bad, I love me some Greek Mythology. I am happily surprised thought at this course overall. I have fallen in love again with short stories and if you had asked me if I were interested in Buddhist mythological stories two weeks ago I would have said no. Easily, the Jataka Tales Unit has become my favorite unit I have read. It has inspired me to stay on the India Unit and read Twenty-Two Goblins! I am excited for this new adventure and I will make sure to update you about it in my next Famous Last Words Post. I really enjoyed rewriting a tale from the Jataka Unit called The Poisonous Trees. This tale was really inspiring to me. It included many of the virtues of Buddha. If you would like to read my retelling of the story you can check it out here.

It looks like everything is going smoothly from here. The semester is in full swing now and big projects for the end of the semester are underway. This is week 4 of 16 so we are now 1/4 of the way done with this semester and I am 1/8 of the way done with my Junior year! Looks like things are beginning to fall into place. Lets just hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown