Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Essay Week 6: Asia Mythology and Folklore

This week I read Tibetan Folk Tales for the Asia Unit in the Mythology and Folklore Un-Textbook. I found this reading to be very fun to read. In fact, it may be one of my favorite things I have read this semester! I can definitely see the appeal to Asian Mythology. I imagine one could spend a whole semester talking only on Asian Mythology and Folklore! In the Tibetan Folk tales Unit I most definitely had some favorite stories which you can see here. I really choose this reading because I initially saw that in this Unit was some magic and I just could not resist. Looking back on my decision I could not be happier about the decision! I especially loved that at the beginning of each story was a Tibetan Proverb. It was very interesting to here these proverbs, even though some of the did not make a lot of sense until I read the story with it. My favorite story and the one I choose to do my storytelling post over was The Man and the Monkey. I found this story to be incredibly interesting. At first I was perplexed by the story and why the man would want to kill the monkeys after they had saved him. It seemed like many of the Tibetan stories were focused on the “ingratitude” of man. This is definitely a Unit that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in animals, magic, and folklore!

Tibetan Family Attending Horse Festival


No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown