Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words

To start off this weeks Famous Last Words I want to give you all this amazing website called Zombiepedia. It is really going to help me with making this storybook project go more smoothly. I have decided that I am going focus on historical text from around the world. I think the text from Zombiepedia are going to really intensify the website and make it very personal to myself.

Zombie Walk (2006)
Talking about the Website. I have just finished creating it and if you’re interested you can check it out here.

Now for the formal write-up:
This week I read a folklore called Ovid’s Metamorphosis. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed these stories. I had forgotten how crazy the greek and roman gods and goddesses are! The stories from this section are super easy to read, which I enjoyed, but they are also interesting. These stories do not only captivate the reader... They almost seem to enchant you. While reading I was questioning the whole time. Why in the world would a god do this? What is the meaning of the story (Never reviled until the last second). I think my best writing this week came from my storytelling post this week. For this weeks storytelling post I decided to retell the story of Io. It was my favorite story from the tells of Ovid’s Metamorphosis. When I was retelling this story I want to give it a modern twist. The story of Io was a very powerful one, and to me it contained all the necessities to a good story (all powerful gods, helpless women and a jealous wife. One of the things I liked best about retelling this story was the style I used of retelling the story in a modern or contemporary aspect. I used factors that are recognizable today that were not necessarily relevant in the culture this story was written in, such as homosexuality and the oh so clever, Ice Bucket Challenge.

As for this week, I would say classes are continuing to go well. Today something strange happened. I had three courses and every single one of them today discussed culture as a social construct and how it shapes our lives. The idea of a culture as a social construct is very interesting to me and it made me think about how people were affected by their culture and how that affected their writings. It is interesting to think that the writing of people can be so affected by culture.

Oh and BTW the game on Saturday was awesome! Hope you all had a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown