Thursday, October 16, 2014

Essay Week 9: Pacific NW

This week I read from the Un-textbook in the Native American section a unit call Pacific NW! I really had a blast reading the stories within this particular unit and I would like to start out by saying tat I would definitely suggest everyone read this unit! I was particularly excited about the origin stories within this unit. If you are interested I wrote about my favorite stories in the Pacific NW unit here. I really love the Pacific North West and that is why I was so excited to see it in the Un-Textbook. I am really glad that we get to spend two weeks on Native American Mythology and Folklore. 

Mount Hood, Oregon
Being a student at the University of Oklahoma, I have found that Native American heritage affects my life in many more ways than I ever thought would be possible. From working at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art and with the Native American Curator there to working at the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey with Native American Artifacts and Burials it is truly inspiring to see Native culture all around me. I think my favorite story from this unit is the Native American origin story How Old Man above Created the World. I choose not to use it for my storytelling post because I did not think I would be able to retell the story with my own spin on it. Actually, that was a theme I found throughout the Native American Unit. It was hard for me to retell these stories because the originals were already so bold and interesting. I think in the end I choose to retell a great story and it worked out well. Again, I would definitely recommend this unit to anyone who is interested in reading it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown