Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 11 Storytelling: The Man and His Dog


One day an old man came across a large lump of gold and he had no idea what to do with it! "I have no use for gold! I shall sell it at the market and get myself a dog!” So the man set out and got his dog. Walking home the man came to a bridge, but the dog refused to cross the stone bridge. He was scared of drowning and was upset at the thought of possiblity falling into the water. 


The man left the dog and walked down the road. Soon he came across a woodpecker. “Woodpecker! Woodpecker! Would you please gently peck my dog so he will go across the bridge and so that I may go home?” But the woodpecker refused. 

Man with Dog

The man continued down the road and came across a cat. “Cat! Cat! Would you please chase the woodpecker out of the tree to go peck my dog so he will cross the river and so I can get home?” But the cat refused.


The man continued down the road and came across a hawk. “Hawk! Hawk! Please, will you threaten the cat with your talons so she will chase the woodpecker; cat won’t chase woodpecker; woodpecker won’t peck dog; dog won’t go over the bridge; and I won’t get home tonight." But hawk confused. 


So man continued down the road and came across fire. “Fire! Fire! Please go and burn hawk. Hawk will not threaten cat; Cat won’t chase woodpecker; woodpecker won’t peck dog; dog won’t cross the bridge and I won’t get home tonight.” But Fire refused. 


Finally, man came across water. Water agreed to help the man, but first man had to do something for water. “If you can fetch me a home to live in I will help you dowse fire.” So man set out to find a home for water. He came across a place where water could live. It was a nice and quite ravine near his home. He showed water the home he had found. Delighted, water dowsed fire and fire then burned hawk, who then threatened cat, who then chased woodpecker, who then pecked dog, who jumped frightened over the bridge and the man made it home in time for dinner.


Happily Ever After!

Author’s Note: The Old Woman and Her Pig - I have never read this story before, but I found it to be a great read with fun with a strange concoction of words to match. I rearranged this story to be of a man’s perspective, but I wanted to leave the story much the same. I think to change this story would have really made it feel less powerful. What are awesome little story! So it begins, as you would expect, with a problem. A woman needed to get her pig across a stile so she could get home, but she couldn’t get the pig to jump over the stile. The woman ask multiple animate and non-animate object to help her and if they said no she would ask the next thing to make the chain of beings do what she ask so she could get the pig over stile and go home. Finally, cow agreed to help her if she gathered him hay. I feel like she probably would have just been better off if she had just done it herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown