Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reading Diary Week 11: English Fairy Tales

For this weeks reading I have chosen to change it up a bit and pick a reading that is not familiar to what I have been doing so far. I chose to read English Fairy Tales! The last 10 Weeks I have always chosen something other than fairy tales, but I think English fairy tales have a special place in my heart as the ones I grew up with! I think I will have fun reading this selection and be able to write a great storytelling post from these stories! Below is a selection of the reading 

Reading A: 

The Old Woman and Her Pig - I have never read this story before, but I found it to be a great read with fun with a strange concoction of words to match. What are awesome little story! So it begins, as you would expect, with a problem. A woman needed to get her pig across a stile so she could get home, but she couldn’t get the pig to jump over the stile. The woman ask multiple animate and non-animate object to help her and if they said no she would ask the next thing to make the chain of beings do what she ask so she could get the pig over stile and go home. Finally, cow agreed to help her if she gathered him hay. I feel like she probably would have just been better off if she had just done it herself. 

The Story of Three Little Pigs - Continuing with pig stories! Again this story starts off with a problem. A sow, or momma pig, sent her three little piglets to find a way to build a home. So the first met a man with straw and asked if he could have some. The pig built a house of straw, but a wolf came along and knocked the house down. The next pig built his house of furze, and the wolf again blew his house down. The third pig built his house of brick, and the wolf have a difficult time trying to blow the house down. The third pig got the better of him in a very fun and laughable way!

Reading B:

Henny-Penny - I chose this story because it reminds me of my childhood and specifically it reminds me of my grandmother!!! The classic sky is falling story. Henny-Penny was hit upon the head and believed the sky was falling. She at once went to tell the king. Along her way to tell the the King she ran into many other animals. They all listened to her story and followed her to the King. All followed except fox who told them they were going the wrong way. Henry-Penny never got to tell the king the sky was falling. :/


Johnny-Cake - This was quite an interesting story, that was a lot like the Gingerbread Man. So a women made a johnny-cake and told her son to watch the oven. While not watching the oven. The oven door popped open and out jumped Johnny-Cake and he ran and ran. The boy the mother and the father all ran after Johnny-Cake. Eventually, many more people ran after Johnny-Cake but he outran them all. But the trickster fox was able to trick Johnny-Cake and eat him up. 

Johnny-Cake Running from the boy, the old woman and the old man


No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown