Thursday, August 28, 2014

Mythology and Folklore Storybook Topic Brainstorm

Topic: Native American Creation Stories
Comments: I am very interested in creation stories among Native Americans. The ones I have heard are both beautiful and mysterious. I think one of the most important aspects of culture is where people believe they come from. I think this topic would give me the opportunity to finally investigate Native American creation stories and learn more about some of the cultures that live in this world. 
Possible Stories: I know the Un-textbook provides a lot of creation stories. I am much less interested in Christian creation stories, but I think the un-textbook will be a great start for Native American stories. I have also found many sites on the internet for Native American creation stories.
Sample Story Comments: I read a story from the Tuskegee Tribe about the origin of Earth. It was a very fascinating story about how there earth was once all water. The was a council held by birds to decided if they should have a world of all water or all land. They decided on land an the leader, the Eagle, made a small island. eventually the island grew and grew into what is not earth. The tribe believes they were chosen by the Great Sprit and placed on the Earth first a long, long time ago. This was a great story, an it really makes me realize the different world views that are found throughout the world!
Bibliography:
Story Title: The Origin of Earth Book Title: Indigenous Peoples’ Literature Index
Book Author: Glenn Walker
Year: 1995

Topic: Zombie Culture
Comments: To be completely honest, Zombies are a passion of mine. I love the television shows and there is just something about the “undead” culture that draws me in. I would have a lot of fun doing a storybook project on this topic. 
Possible Stories: The un-textbook had a couple of stories from the African section in Nigeria about zombies. After doing some research I have also found stories from Haiti and Cuba, where French ideology and African culture have mixed during the slave trade. This has led to voodoo myths.
Sample Story Comments: I read some stories from Haiti about reports of people becoming zombified. The stories about zombies are very intriguing because it is hard to understand who these stories come about. I am very interested in this topic, but I am not exactly sure how to intersect this topic with this course. If I were to choose this topic I would definitely need more information. 
Bibliography:
Story Title: Haiti and the Truth about Zombies
Book Title: Passages of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie
Book Author: Wade Davis
Year: 1988

Topic: Dogs: Are they really your BF?
Comments: For this project I would like to look at the roles dogs play in cultures around the world. i have learned that some Native Cultures regarded them highly as protectors of humanity and I would like to explore what other cultures ideas about dogs are.  
Possible Stories: The Un-textbook has some animal stories, but none that I could find that relate entirely to dogs in particular. However, I have found some interesting text online about dogs seen as protectors in Native American Tribes. 
Sample Stories Comments: This story comes from the Hupa tribe in Northern California. This tribe sees dogs as the “Protector” of humans. They took a vow of science and will only speak when the world is coming to an end. I loved this story and this is exactly what I was looking for. 
Bibliography: 
Story Title: The Hupa
Book Title: The North American Indian: Volume 13
Book Author: Edward S. Curtis
Year: Unknown

Topic: Norse Culture Myths
Comments: For this topic I would like to explore Nordic culture and their mythological stories. I have been very interested in Nordic culture since I was a kid. 
Possible Stories: The Un-textbook has many stories for me to use on this subject! 
Sample Story Comments: This website was very interesting, and it describe what Valhalla is. If I was really interested in this topic I might change it to the Heavens and the Hells of different cultures.
Bibliography: 
Story Title: Valhalla
Book Title: Norse Mythology for Smart People
Book Author: Dan McCoy
Year: 2012

1 comment:

  1. In case anyone is keeping tabs, I have decided to do my Storybook Project over Zombie Culture. It is a true passion of mine! I am excited about the topic and can’t wait to get really started.

    ReplyDelete

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown