Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 2: Famous Last Words

As I look back on this, Week 2, week of the course I feel like I am finally beginning to get the hang of this new online format. I sometimes wish that all of the online course at OU were offered this way, but of course I understand that this class is unique and not all classes can be taught this way. This week, Week 2, I feel like my best writing came from the storytelling post. I was very happy with my ability to come up with a story this week. While reading Homer’s The Iliad, I was pretty concerned about how I was going to do a retelling of the story in the storytelling post. Unlike Aesop’s Fables I found the Iliad to actually be way more difficult to retell. I think this is due to the way the story is told. instead of just retelling a portion of the story I ended up somewhat retelling the whole thing. The pieces of the Iliad went together really well, so it was difficult to separate it out and just write a single story. I just finished reading Ovid’s Metamorphoses. I can already tell that I am going to have a much easier time writing a storytelling post for this section. The readings were much more individualized and this is going to make it easier, in my mind, to be more creative with the stories. I feel like I am going to have some more creative liberties and I am not as tied down to a storyline as I was with the Iliad.

All of the above being said, I still think the best writing I was able to do this week was my storytelling post! I was very proud of the work I created with the storytelling post. I feel like I was about to overcome a challenge, and I succeeded! 

Connections in other classes are becoming more and more apparent. This week I started working on my Storybook. One of the topics I have chosen was about how Native American Stories regarded dogs as the protectors of humanity. I found this topic to be really interesting, and even though we only covered it briefly in my other class I thought it would be perfect to cover it in this course too!

Dog Protector of the Human Race: Ready for Battle


No comments:

Post a Comment

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown