Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week 1: An Exploration into the Unknown of the Un-Textbook

Here I am going to list some of the titles from our class (Mythology and Folklore) Un-Textbook. I will say that may of the chapter look fascinating and I am very excited to start this course!

Week 2 and 3: Biblical
For this section I choose Homers’ Iliad and Legends of Noah. I think I was appealed to both of the sections mostly because I have heard of them before I know they are great stories and would love to read them again, but I think I might try to go with something I have not read. Cupid and Psyche looks pretty interesting as well as Jewish Fairytales. I’m not quite sure what to expect out of them, but my the blurb and titles I am intrigued.

Week 4 and 5: Middle East - India
 Instantly I saw the title Life of Buddha and was excited. This would be something I am definitely into reading. A story such as this would probably get me thinking about life and new perspectives which is exactly what I like to do. Twenty-Two Goblins also caught my attention, I love riddles and think this story would interest me!

Week 6 and 7: Asia/ Pacific and Africa
I have always been enchanted by Tibet and I hope to travel there one day. I think my next choice would be Tibetan Folktales, not to mention so far I am missing out on the folktales thus far. This part is hard. I love African history and I think many of these titles are jumping out at me. If I have to be honest, I have an obsession with Zombies or "Zombie Culture” so I would choose Tales from the Congo

Week 8 and 9: Native America
Fantastic! I am very excited for this section. Pacific NW is number one for me. I love the area and the anthropology of the native cultures from the Pacific NW, it just makes sense for me. I would probably choose Indian Fairy Tales next. It seems like a good place to get a somewhat general overview and I like that it is told for children (that will probably help me understand it better)

Week 10 and 11: British Isles
In this sections I would probably choose Beowulf I love the story and I would like to actually read it.
Next I would choose Celtic Tales, I have never read Celtic Tales but I like Celtic Knots and it seems like an interesting culture... I would like to learn more.

Week 12 and 13: Europe
I would choose Czech Folktales. I have family that is from the Czech Republic and I would love to know more about the culture there! I would also choose Grimm! I love these tales and think they would be a great read!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Christian!

    Hahaha this kid. That is a really good story! Kids always jump the gun when it comes to waiting for the ultimate satisfaction. I love how you changed it from milk maid to child, that's very creative! It reminded me of the Marsh-mellow test I learned about this summer: let a child sit in a room with a single marsh-mellow in front of him or her for five minutes. The incentive to not eat the marsh-mellow is that after five minutes they will get another marsh-mellow and be allowed to eat both; double the satisfaction. If the child cannot wait five minutes, wants immediate satisfaction, and eats the treat, it predicts that they will behave throughout life with immediate goals as priority, supposedly. So waiting for a marsh-mellow or a cool new car toy is difficult for kids! Here's the link to the video if you want to watch! It's pretty hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_oy9614HQ

    Great job!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown