Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Week 1: Favorite Places (Table Rock Lake and The Pacific North West)

After some debate I have narrowed down my favorite places to just two different places. One is from my past and the other is somewhere I want to be.


Table Rock Lake, Missouri: As a child I grew up on Table Rock Lake. It is a place that has so many good memories for me including boating, spending time with my grandparents and camping! It is a beautiful place surrounded by Missouri wilderness and fun activities, such as the Branson Belle shown below.

(Showboat Branson Belle: Wikimedia Commons)
 
 
North West Pacific Coast, US: As an Anthropology major in the Archaeology discipline there is a tremendous amount of pressure to try to decide what area of study you want to do before you get to graduate school. Most graduate schools for Archaeology are specialized in two or three areas. Last year I fell in love with the area along the NW coast of the US known as the Pacific North West. In my future I plan to go to a graduate school in this area and start my journey as a post undergraduate there!
 
 
 
 
(Crooked River in Smith Rock State Park: Wikimedia Commons)


3 comments:

  1. Oh Christian, I am so excited for you and your plans to do work in the Pacific Northwest. Absolutely wonderful!!! Have you been to Vancouver yet and visited the AMAZING Anthropology Museum there??? One of my all-time favorite museums on the planet. Here is their website:
    http://www.moa.ubc.ca/
    I was really excited that I added some Pacific Northwest material to the class readings this semester (I was inspired by two really excellent student projects from last semester, one by a student with Athabascan heritage who is from Alaska!)... maybe you will want to do a Pacific-Northwest-based project for this class. I think that would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of this museum!!! The University of British Columbia is one of the graduate schools I have really been looking into!
      After taking some linguistics courses, I am really excited to hear you say Athabascan! I like their language system and I think it will be great to hear folktales from that area! I am very excited!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope you will get to go to Vancouver soon, Christian - it is a GREAT place. If I could pick anywhere in the world to live, it is a place I would seriously consider. You would have a fabulous time there for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown