Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week 2 Storytelling: The Slaying of Prince Jack

This story starts out in a distant land, far from those known to you and I, known as Catlandia. This world was inhabited by an ancient and intelligent race of Felines. Their city of Meowton is surrounded by a large and sturdy wall that is impenetrable to any opposing enemies. The King of Catalonia is referred to as King Nala. He was a just king who always treated his subjects fairly. He was a proud king and a proud parent of two beautiful children. His firstborn was a handsome lad named Jack and his youngest was a beautiful princess named Pepper.

One day in the land of Catlandia Pepper was off on her daily stroll by the ocean when she came across a strange man passed out on the beach. His name was Sargent. He was a rough looking mutt from a land on the other side of the ocean called Barkersfield. Unknown to Pepper or Sargent at the time their paths had just crossed and would forever be intertwined.

Cat and Dog Love

“Meow, you okay?” Pepper questioned Sargent.

Scratching his ears he stood on his four feet, “Yeah, I’m fin...” He caught hold of the princess beautiful eyes and paused for a moment, “Fine... Who are you?”

"Princess Pepper", she replied.

Skipping ahead several hours Pepper and Sargent were still talking. Little by little they were falling in love and soon Sargent would ask Pepper to run away with him. And so she did leaving all she had ever known behind to start a new life in the land of Barkersfield.

King Nala was worried about his darling daughter when she did not arrive at supper that night. He sent all of the guards he could afford to search for her. Unable to find his daughter the King finally came across a humble farmer who told the King he had seen his daughter with a dog sail on the ocean toward Barkersfield! The king outraged ordered his troops to go fourth and retrieve his daughter.

Soon, the troops returned empty handed. They told the King they had not enough troops to find or force Princess Pepper back home. On their voyage home the troops were followed by the Barkersfield Army who were ordered by their king to lay siege to Catlandia. At once King Nala ordered his entire army to ready themselves for war. They did as the King said and started to prepare. Before they knew it Dog Warriors from Barkersfield were unloading onto the shores of Catlandia and the War had begun.

Both sides suffered major injuries. Bites, scratches and disgusting slobber attacks. The war ended for the night and proceeded the next day. The second day advanced and many more casualties followed on each side. Finally each side agreed to send out their best fighters for Victory. With many years of experience in the field of Marshal Arts, King Nala sent his son, Prince Jack. During the time of his sisters running away to Barkersfield, Jack was very upset about the kidnapping of his Sister.

The King of Barkersfield sent his best man, Sargent. A proven warrior in combat, Sargent was the best hope the King of Barkersfield had. Sargent was ready to fight for the hand to his new girl, Pepper, and Jack was ready to fight to have his sister back.

The battle between the two was finished almost as soon as it had begun; It was over. Jack was able to get in a few good hits, but Sargent was victorious in the Battle and ended the battle with a final chomp on Jack’s neck.

Depiction of the Battle between Jack and Sargent
As the battle ended it was evident that the Barkerfieldians were superior to the Catlandians. All was well in the lands again, and soon Sargent and Pepper were wedded and live a very happy life together!


Author’s Note:
I choose to do a funny style of writing with new characters that closely matched the events that took place in the original story, Homer’s The Iliad. I choose this style of writing because eI felt like I would be better able to engage the readers into the story. I based some of the characters off of pets that I own or that my relatives own. The original story had a women who was taken by greeks from troy. A battle occurred in Troy and eventually the hero Achilles defeated the Champion of Troy.

Bibliography:
The Iliad by Alfred J. Church (1907)

4 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY! There are 3 things I love in life. 1. I love cats 2. I love cat and dog relationships and 3. I love happy endings. Your story had all of that and more! I love the names of the towns and the super cute happy ending. This retelling reminds me of many stories but mainly it reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. But not with humans and all that death of lovers and horrible stuff like that...good job, keep it up my fellow feline lover :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian! I didn't realize we were in this class together! I LOVED this story. It was a quirky play-off of the original and I thought it was a really interesting read. It kept my attention, which can often be hard in stories like the Iliad. I loved that the characters were animals, because who doesn't love animals?! I thought you did an awesome job and I can't wait to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christian, I enjoyed reading this story very much. I am a big fan of cat and dog relationships. I liked your use of the pictures to help the reader visualize the story that is happening. Your quirky take on the original story was a clever way to retell it. I am excited to see what you will think of in your stories to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christian! First of all, great story! I found it very entertaining. I took a Latin course in high school so I know a bit about the Illiad. It’s a great read. When I was reading your story, I initially thought the Cat and the Dog story from the Jewish Fairy Tales unit, which I might add is a good unit to read! The fact that it was not, actually made it much more interesting for me because I could see that you focused more on the characters and their personal traits and then made up a story that followed along that. Good job. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

"love is a disease, like a good bacteria." - Unknown